BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

17.7.08

Make Me Wanna Holler and Throw Up Both Hands

I know I wrote about that "typically black" mess and how it's bullshit, but I realized that black people are the main ones setting up that "typically black" mess in the first. I mean, isn't that about 95% of every black comedian's material? "Black people do that, white people do this"?

A lot of black people seem to be twisted up on the fact that some other black people "act white" or do "white things". For instance, some black bloggers got bent out of shape over Jay-Z and Lil Wayne playing guitars and trying to be "rock 'n roll". As I mentioned before, with artists such as Prince, Jimi Hendrix, Tina Turner, Wyclef Jean, Lenny Kravitz, and others, how can black musicians be pigeonholed into one or two categories of music? In this day and age, how can a black person be expected to just listen to one or two categories? I listen to absolutely EVERYTHING, (well, everything that doesn't suck), does that mean I'm not black?

Why is it when black men get some sense and clean up the way they dress, they are in turn called "suspect"? Well, maybe I'm in the minority here, but it seems a whole helluva lot more suspect to watch a grown man shuffle around with his pants hanging off his ass, emulating a trend that came from prison bitches. Why can't guys like Kanye West, Andre 3000, and Pharrell Williams wear the clothes they want and express themselves without the "these niggas faggin'" bullshit?

It's like, why do black people want to be held down by culture restrictions? All this "black people can't/don't do that" bullshit is very irritating and it's truly sad when people who look like you want to oppress you. We've come too far as a people to hold each other down.

There are different strokes for different folks and "different folks" does not mean "different colors of people" but "people in general".

SIDE NOTE: I really don't like the phrase "African American". It's so ignorantly politically correct. First of all, Africa is not a country, but a continent, so for someone to be "African American" would be like someone being "North American"; it just doesn't make sense. Second, I've never been to any part of Africa in my life, let alone be born there, so for me to be African-American doesn't make sense since I was born and raised in the United States of America and ergo, I am American. I understand that America is a huge melting pot and we want to acknowledge the different types of cultures without being offensive, but let's not be ridiculously ignorant. And most of the time, the acknowledgment feels like a label being put on people. When you feel out a job application, why do they need to know what you are before they set up the interview, anyway?

1 got them goddamn blues:

HMSydney said...

Agree, agree, agree...I don't know how I missed this before though. Maybe I read it and thought I commented, but didn't. Anyway. I love this entry. So much material you've given me to discuss in this little box, but I've no inspiration on where to start. One thing though, the term African American. Yeah I don't like it either, people just figure it differentiates groups and black people when you talk about culture or whatnot...I've had to learn this...they use it when they differentiate us from say Caribbean blacks...they're Afro/African-Caribbean as we are African-American...it's retarded.